GP Medical Negligence/ Personal Injury
Information and Fees for non-LSC work
Personal injury reports are usually undertaken at a rate up to £195 (excluding review of medical records) but MedCo RTA cases for the set fee of £180
Current waiting time is 2-4 weeks.
Reports are compiled using Corex software and are usually sent by email same day.
GP Expert Witness clinical negligence reports and qualifying work, and conferences with counsel will be charged at an hourly rate of £220.00 and can be charged for each 1/4th hour.
Preliminary advisory opinions are usually based on £395.00, up to £500, depending on the volume of medical records.
Attendance in court as an Expert Witness will be on the basis of £800 per half day (up to 4hrs) or £1600 per full day (up to 8hrs).
Travelling time will be charged at an hourly rate of £95.00, in addition to any travel (1st class rail, car mileage 60p/ml), subsistence and overnight costs.
If a court appearance is cancelled or rescheduled: at less than 14 days notice, I will levy a cancellation charge of 50% of the attendance fee; at less than 7 days notice, I will levy a cancellation charge of 100% of the attendance fee.
Please note that these fees will not be subject to cost assessment by the court and that all accounts are to be settled within 28 days (unless agreed otherwise), are subject to VAT and may be varied on 1st April each year or any other time as may be agreed.
If payment is to be delayed until end of case, a 10% surcharge will be applied to all fees incurred up to the first 12 months following my first report, thereafter, an additional 5% per additional year or part year will be charged on all fees incurred.
If payment is delayed beyond the agreed date, a charge may be made each time a reminder is sent, no more frequent than monthly.
The average cost of a full report can be based on 5-6 hours work, on the assumption that there is an average amount of suitably prepared documents to study for the report.
Preliminary advice can usually be based on 2-3 hours work.
On receipt of all relevant documentation, first draft will be prepared and returned within 4 weeks unless I notify you otherwise.
I retain the copyright of my report and related correspondence, and it must not be shown to any persons other than to your client, in any form, without my written permission.
Agreement in writing by the instructing solicitors will be required prior to accepting instructions, or, on my receipt of formal instructions and documentation following an initial enquiry, will be deemed to accept the above.
As a GP Expert, I have completed the Cardiff University Expert Witness Certificate, and in 2012 completed an update module on Part 35 requirements. I am experienced in providing GP expert advice and reports on all aspects of General Practice, as well as Vasectomy procedures. I estimate my work as being about 70% for Claimants, 20% for Defendants, 5 % for the General Medical Council Fitness to Practice proceedings, and some others, including reports for the Coroner.
I have given evidence in person in civil cases, GMC cases and Coroners courts, as well as attending many meetings of joint experts.
Although having provided Personal Injury reports in well over 7000 cases, mainly for MROs, I have now decided to reduce this workload, ceasing to take requests from Medical Reporting Agencies and now only receive requests direct from solicitors.
MB BChir 1978
LRCP MRCS 1978
Cardiff University Expert Witness Certificate 2003
Bond Solon Civil Procedure Rules for Expert Witness certificate 2011
• GP Postgraduate Tutor, Coventry. 1983-86
• GP Clinical Assistant in Accident/Emergency 1984-88
• GP Clinical Assistant in Rheumatology 1988-91
• GP Clinical Assistant in Gynaecology 1983-96
• Medical Officer to the RAF 1983-90
• GP Trainer 1991-95
• Chair Coventry LMC 1992-95
• Coventry LMC member 1984-2012
• Occupational Health Medical Officer for Local Authorities 1997-2005
• Member Coventry Professional Executive Committee 2003-7
• Clinical lead on Coventry and Rugby CCG 2012-13
GP Principle / partner Coventry 1982 - 2015
• GP locum
• Holder of a contract with Coventry Primary Care Trust for vasectomies in Primary Care
• Clinical Lead for Safeguarding Children
• Council member Association of Surgeons in Primary Care
• GP Appraiser for Coventry PCT
• Registered with AVMA (Association of Victims of Medical Accidents) and UK Register of Expert Witnesses; member of The Society of Expert Witnesses
• Since 1994 I have been providing GP Expert Witness reports (over 1000 on Clinical Negligence) on behalf of Claimants, Defendants and the General Medical Council (recently 70-15-15% respectively) and Personal Injury reports (over 7000, largely as the agreed expert) for over 30 different Medical Reporting Organisations, and directly for many solicitors.
• Approved by the Law Society as a single joint expert
• APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers) recognised expert
GP Postgraduate Tutor, Coventry. 1983-86
GP Clinical Assistant in Accident/Emergency 1984-88
GP Clinical Assistant in Rheumatology 1988-91
GP Clinical Assistant in Gynaecology 1983-96
Medical Officer to the RAF 1983-90
GP Trainer 1991-95
Chair Coventry LMC 1992-95
Coventry LMC member 1984-2012
Occupational Health Medical Officer for Local Authorities 1997-2005
Member Coventry Professional Executive Committee 2003-7
3rd wave GP Fundholder
GP Consultant to the Medical Defence Union
Clinical lead on Coventry and Rugby CCG 2012-13
Accident Emergency , Family Practice , General Practice , Medical Experts , Vasectomy , Accident and Emergency , Clinical Negligence , Medico Legal , Medical Negligence , Personal Injury , Road Traffic Accidents , Surgery Vasectomy , Personal Injury Assessment
Clear, thorough reports with a quick turn around (usually received on day of appointment) , Approachable and always willing to discuss the report and further issues arising. My First Port of call.
By Richard Paremain (email@example.com, Solicitor)