Frances is an industry expert and educator who has published a series of books dealing with starting a fashion business. Fashion for Profit, Costing for Profit, Brand Building for Profit and Forms for Profit are industry focused texts used both by new companies and for further education programs. www.fashionforprofit.com.
Additionally, she serves as an industry expert in apparel and textile related legal disputes. Consults and speaks internationally on a number of industry topics, including; Product Development, Sustainability, Branding, Merchandising, Costing Analysis, Production Procedures and Entering the US market.
She was the Founder/President of the FBI (Fashion Business Incorporated) 1999- 2017. Educational 501c3, which provided vital business development and certified job retraining programs to the US apparel industry.
Through her many international presentations and consultations, she was asked to serve as a United Nations consultant for small businesses producing Alpaca products in Peru and Cashmere products in Nepal.
Her past design experience includes two lines for Priscilla Priestley that sold on Home Shopping, designing active sportwear for the royal house of the Sultan of Brunei, having her name under license in Japan for a higher end contempory line and designing Halloween costumes for Fredricks of Hollywood.
Previously taught full time as an Associate Professor at Otis College of Art & Design, as well FIDM, LA Trade Tech among other education institutions both within the US and UK. She is an Adjunct Professor and serves on the advisory board of Cal Poly Pomona for both the Apparel Merchandising Dept., and the Deanâ€™s Advisory board. She has been voted for 18 years by the Apparel News as one of the industry most influential people.
Salford University, Manchester, England - Bachelor of Arts: Fashion Design
Certified: Teaching from Seattle College of further education.
Fluent in German and English.
Voted by California Apparel News as one of LA's most influential people (13 years)
Appointed by US Federal Trade Department as a member of DEC - District Export Council - Southern California. (7 years)
* Founding Member BINSC (Business Incubator Network - Southern California)
* Expert Witness in Legal Disputes
* Deans Advisory Board- Cal Poly University, & Fashion Merchandising Dept.,
* Advisory Board- Hollywood College of Art & Design - Art Institute
* Advisory Board â€“ El Camino Community College - Fashion Dept.,
* Advisory Board â€“ Saddleback Community College - Fashion Dept.,
* Invited guest and speaker as part of international delegations to: China, France, Germany, Australia, Nepal and Peru.
* Member and ex board member of Fashion Group International (FGI)
Prior Expert Witness Experience
* Blackbird Tech LLC d/b/a Blackbird Technologies vs. Lululemon Athletica, Inc. Case No. 1:15-cv-00930-RGA (Expert for the Defendant)
* Bragel International , Inc., vs. Charlette Russe, Inc. and related counterclaim vs. Styles for Less, Inc., Case No. 2:15-cv-08364-R (FFMx) & Case No. 8:15-cv-01756-R (FFMx) (expert for the Plaintiff)
* Acmet,Inc., vs. Stage Stores, Inc., Case No. 2:15-cv-04666-GHK (JCx) (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Fabric Selection, Inc., vs. Romex Textiles, Case. 2:-cv-07645-SVW (MRWx) (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Neman Brothers & Assoc., Inc., vs. Burlington Stores, Inc., Ross Stores, Inc. d/b/a DDâ€™S Discounts, One Step Up Ltd, Rainbow USA Inc., Case No. 2:15-cv-03837 RGK (SSx) (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Walrus LLC. Vs Peaches Uniforms, Inc., Case # 1:12-cv-04892 (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Star Fabrics, Inc. v J.C. Penny Corporation, Inc., et al. cv14-1019 (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* L.A. Printex Industries, Inc. (â€śLA Printexâ€ť) v. Royal Printex, Inc., et al., Case Number 2:13-cv-08960-FMO-FFM (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Minx International, Inc. v Pacific Eurotex, Inc., et al. cv13-05950 (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Minx International, Inc. v M.R.R. Fabrics, Inc., et al. cv13-05947 (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Target v. Destination Maternity Corporation, Case No. IPR2013-00530 (U.S. Patent N. RE43,563) (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Destination Maternity Corporation, v Target Corporation, Cherokee Inc., and Elizabeth Lange LLC, Case No. 2:12-cv-05680-AB (Expert for the Defendant)
* Star Fabrics, Inc., v. Joyce Leslie, Inc.et al. cv13-02771 (Expert for the Plaintiff)
* Callan v. Christian Audigier, Inc., 2:08-cv-08072 GW (JwJx) (C.D. Ca. 2009) (Expert for Plaintiff)
* Peace & Love Jewelry By Nancy Davis LLC v. Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. et al., 2:10-cv-00417 GW (VBKx) (C.D. Cal. 2010) (Expert for Defendant)
* United Fabrics International v. Pat Rego, Inc., 2:10-cv-05988 PSG (RZx) (C.D. Cal. 2010) (Expert for Plaintiff)
* Varsity Brands, Inc., v. Star Athletica, L.L.C., 2:10-cv-02508-RHC-cgc (W.D. Tenn. 2011) (Expert for Plaintiff)
* Fashion For Profit, 10th ed. Harder Publications, 2014. ISBN-978-0-9727763-0-1
* Costing For Profit, 2nd ed. Harder Publications, 2010. ISBN-10: 0-984555-0-5
* Brand Building For Profit, 2nd ed. Harder Publications, 2010. ISBN-10: 0-9845550-1-3
* Forms For Profit, 2nd ed. Harder Publications, 2009. ISBN-10: 09727763-8-9
* Fashion For Profit DVD. Harder Publications, 2005. ISBN-10: 0-9727763-2-X
* Starting Your Own Apparel Business DVD. Harder Publications, 2010. ISBN10: 0 9845550-4-8
* Fashion Business Start Up Package, 2nd ed. Harder Publications, 2010. ISBN-10: 0 9845550-3-X
* Costing for Profit - DVD. Harder Publications, 2010. ISBN-10: 0-9845550-6-4
* Brand Building for Profit - DVD. Harder Publications, 2010. ISBN-10: 0 9845550 5-6
* "How to Finance the Launch of a Brand" Focus on Retail, August 21016
* "When is a Consulting Service Not a Consulting Service" Fashion Mannuscript, February 21016
* "Start-Up 101â€ť Focus On Fashion Retailing, December 2015
* "How to get the Attention of Investors" Focus On Fashion Retailing, August 2015
* "The Future of Retailing" Fashion Mannuscript, May 2014
* "Sales: Selling Through Consignment- Pros and Cons" Focus On Fashion Retailing, August 2013.
* "Retailing 101: The Importance of Merchandisingâ€ť Focus On Fashion Retailing, June 2013.
* "The Importance of Technical Documentation â€“ or Techpacks" Focus On Fashion Retailing, February 2013.
* "So, Youâ€™re Starting an Apparel Company?" Focus On Fashion Retailing, July -August 2008.